The latest Oxygen OS build brings ambient display additions, system and camera fixes, and the OnePlus Store app.
Born and raised in Cape Town, South Africa, Hadlee is part of the news team at Android Authority, joining the website in 2018. He has over a decade of experience working in the tech journalism space. When he’s not working, he’s gaming, watching motorsport, or running. He’ll get back on the jiu-jitsu mat when this pandemic is over.
•43 minutes ago
Welcome to the OnePlus 8 series update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on updates to the OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8. We’ll detail the current software versions for each device and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out. OnePlus usually pushes out Oxygen OS updates to the OnePlus 8 Pro and 8 together, but availability may be affected by variant, carrier, and region.
- Current stable version: Android 11
- When will the OnePlus 8 series get Android 12? Early to mid-2022 (Estimated)
Latest OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8 updates
August 17, 2021: Oxygen OS 188.8.131.52 is a bumper update for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro. The patch brings a lengthy changelog, including a host of new features for the always-on display. Bitmoji AOD now features, while there’s now also a new screenshot feature for the display, too.
OnePlus is also adding its Store app to the devices, while camera fixes and navigation gesture tweaks are also incoming. Finally, the August 2021 Android security patch is the cherry on top.
See the full changelog below.
- Newly adapted OnePlus Buds Pro and brought new powerful features
- Newly added the screenshot feature for AOD
- Fixed the failed issue of Navigation gestures in some scenes
- Improved system stability and fixed known issues
- Updated Android security patch to 2021.08
- Optimized the portrait mode effect of the front camera
- OnePlus Store
- An intuitive and convenient way to manage your OnePlus account, get easy-to-access support, discover exciting members-only benefits, and shop for OnePlus products. (Please note that it can be uninstalled)
- Ambient Display
- Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed with Snapchat, which will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on your activity and things happening around you (Path: Settings > Customization > Clock on ambient display > Bitmoji)
The update is available to users in Europe first, but will disseminate to India and North America “soon.”
As always, this update will be rolled out via OTA incrementally. Don’t be too concerned if you haven’t yet received it. To check if an update is available, head to Settings > System > System updates on your device.
Previous OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8 updates
- June 9, 2021: Oxygen OS 184.108.40.206 brought fixes to the devices’ camera, specifically addressing the 48MP sensor’s shutter button issues. The June 2021 Android security patch was also included.
- May 26, 2021: Oxygen OS 220.127.116.11 is now rolling out to the OnePlus 8 Pro and OnePlus 8. The patch brings improvements to the 8 Pro’s wireless charging experience, a number of bug fixes to both devices, and the May 2021 Android security patch. Also included are fixes to Gallery, Phone, and Messages bugs.
- April 22, 2021: The ninth Oxygen OS 11 beta build rolled out to the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro. Open Beta 9 included a lengthy changelog that mainly touched on system improvements. It also brought the April 2021 Android security patch.
- March 29, 2021: Oxygen OS 18.104.22.168 failed to bring any new features to the OnePlus 8 Pro or 8, but did iron out several system bugs. The March 2021 Android security patch arrived in tow.
- March 22, 2021: OnePlus started disseminating the eighth Oxygen OS 11 open beta build for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro. Alongside the March 2021 Android security patch, the beta update also brought a number of fixes for the system, camera, and other aspects of the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro.
- February 27, 2021: OnePlus rolled out the seventh Oxygen OS 11 open beta build for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro. It added the February security patch to the phones and fixed several system issues.
- February 3, 2021: The sixth Oxygen OS 11 open beta brought a lengthy changelog, which included the Android Security Patch for January 2021, and a host of tweaks to Weather, Shelf, and Gaming Space apps.
- December 22, 2020: OnePlus pushed out the fifth open beta update, bringing Rewind Recording for Game Space, selfie camera animation tweaks, and addressing a Bluetooth call bug. It also brought the December 2020 security patch to the table.