Back in 2020, OnePlus decided that after years of steadily increasing the price of their smartphones, they would finally return to budget by launching the OnePlus Nord series. The version that eventually made its way stateside was the OnePlus Nord N100 which offered a bigger display but lower resolution, and under the hood it was also less powerful as it packs the Qualcomm Snapdragon 460 chipset versus the Snapdragon 765G in the OnePlus Nord.
That being said, with its affordable price point, we imagine that many might have picked it up. If you are one of those who did and are thinking about maybe unlocking the device’s SIM card, there are actually a couple of ways around it. One of those ways is through your carrier who might unlock it for free, and the other is through an unlocking service like Android SIM Unlock.
Unlocking through your carrier
As the OnePlus Nord N100 is a carrier-exclusive to T-Mobile, you will need to meet T-Mobile’s requirements to qualify for a SIM unlock. You can check the company’s website for the details to see if you qualify, or alternatively you can get a more definitive answer by:
- Going to your T-Mobile account
- Under Check device unlock status, see if your device is locked or unlocked
- If it’s locked, under the device’s image you should also see if it is eligible to be unlocked
Assuming that your device is eligible for a free unlocking, here are T-Mobile’s instructions on what you need to do next:
- On the OnePlus Nord N100, launch the Settings
- Go to Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network
- Choose Advanced or Network Unlock, whichever is available to you
- Select Permanent Unlock and wait for the unlocking process to be complete
- Restart your device and you should be good to go
Unlocking using Android SIM Unlock
In case you don’t meet the requirements set out by T-Mobile to qualify for a free SIM unlock, don’t worry, there are third-party services that work just as well but only cost a small fee.
- Launch the Phone app on the OnePlus Nord N100
- Dial *#06#
- Record down the IMEI number that’s displayed your phone
- If you’re using T-Mobile, go to Android SIM Unlock’s T-Mobile page, or go to its MetroPCS page if you’re using MetroPCS
- Enter your device’s IMEI
- Proceed with the checkout and make your payment
- Once payment has been successfully made, you’ll just need to wait for the confirmation email
- Upon receiving the confirmation email, follow the steps on Android SIM Unlock’s website to complete the unlocking process
- Insert your new SIM card and you should be good to go!
Keep in mind that by unlocking your phone’s SIM, it does not in any way release you from the contract you have with your carrier. You’re still obliged to pay whatever remaining installments or bills you agreed to when you took a contract with them. All this does is unlock the SIM card to give you a bit more freedom when you need to use a different carrier’s SIM card on your phone, whether it be for work or when you’re travelling.