Now that Google has moved Android 12 into AOSP, this is opening the door for smartphone makers to bring beta programs to more of their users. We’ve already seen Realme announce plans for Realme UI 3.0 based on Android 12, and today, OnePlus has released the first OxygenOS 12 Open Beta for the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro. There are quite a few changes in store, but the exciting part is that you can start using this today!
What’s coming in OxygenOS 12
Along with making Android 12 available via the Open Beta program, OnePlus has also confirmed some of the new features that you will see after the installation is completed. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect with Android 12 on OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro:
- Optimized desktop icons with improved textures, by using a design inspired by brand-new materials and uniting lights and layers
- Dark mode
- Dark mode now supports three adjustable levels, bringing a more personalized and comfortable user experience
- New additional style options for Cards, making data contents more visual and easier to read
- Newly added Earphone Control Card with Bluetooth earphone one-click adjustment
- Newly added access to OnePlus Scout in Shelf, allowing you to search multiple contents on your phone, including Apps, Settings, Media Data, etc
- Newly added OnePlus Watch Card in Shelf, to easily glance at your health stats
- Work Life Balance
- Work Life Balance feature is now available to all users, allowing you to effortlessly switch between Work and Life mode via quick settings
- WLB 2.0 now supports automatic Work/Life mode switching, based on specific locations, Wi-Fi network, and time, also bringing customized App notification profiles according to the personalization
- Gallery now allows you to switch between different layouts with a two-finger pinch gesture, intelligently recognizing the best-quality pictures, and cropping the thumbnail based on the content, making the gallery layout more pleasing
- Canvas AOD
- Canvas AOD brings you new diverse styles of lines and colors, for a more personalized lock screen experience with inspiring visuals
- Newly added multiple brushes and strokes and support for color adjustment
- Optimized software algorithm and improved face recognition to better identify the features and skin color of different figures
There are also some bugs to be aware of, as this is a beta release and not the final version. These include things like the camera may become “stuck and unstable”, along with the inability for calls and text messages to be received. Just keep this in mind if you decide to venture down the path of installing Android 12 onto your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro.
How to install Android 12 on OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro
The process for installing OxygenOS 12, based on Android 12, on your OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro is a bit more in-depth than your traditional update. Those who have installed Open Beta software on their devices will be familiar with the process. Before being able to proceed, OnePlus recommends that your device is charged up to higher than 30%, and you will need at least 3GB of storage space.
Nevertheless, if you want to install Android 12 on OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, here’s what you’ll need to do.
- Download the OxygenOS ROM upgrade zip package.
- Move the file to your phone’s root storage via the Files app.
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap System.
- Select System Updates.
- In the top right corner, click the icon with three dots.
- Tap Local upgrade.
- Select the ROM package that you just downloaded and moved.
- Tap the Upgrade button.
- Once the update is completed, tap the Restart button.
Just as a note. In some cases, the file downloaded to your device might actually be a .jar file and not a .zip. If this is the case, locate the file in your Files app and then rename it, removing the .jar and leaving the .zip. Then, you will be able to proceed with the OxygenOS 12 Open Beta 1 installation on your device.